Updated 21 September 1999 URL is http://our.tentativetimes.net/rab/onenight.html
If you are stuck in a frame at another site, click on this line to break free
Want to jump straight to the gigs now
Need just the phone numbers and locations?
Bands Appearing Around Northeast Indiana
Upcoming Band Appearances
Here are some 1999 Gigs that you all have written to tell me about! Remember to check your local media or phone ahead, as band schedules are sometimes rearranged at the last minute.
The Bel Airs
Last show before the New Year! The Bel Airs are cutting back…way back on the number of gigs played.
This Friday, November 12, will be our last show before New Year’s Eve. Be sure and join us Friday at American Legion Post 241, 7605 Bluffton Road, in Wayndale, IN.
The show is open to the public and begins at 8:30 PM. You can call 219-747-7851 for directions and particulars. We hope to see you there, The Bel Airs
The Bel Airs band hails from Fort Wayne Indiana.
To book this band call Tim at 219-744-0550, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For automatic show updates, send your email address to email@example.com
Rumor has it that Joe has to concentrate on his art, so the Bel Airs have cut down to two gigs a month or less. This is very sad for all the fans. It makes it all the more important for us to learn when their shows will be.
Tim wrote "Thanks again all you Rockabilly Buddies…if it wasn’t for you, we’d
just plain stop. Be seein’ ya." Tim Andersen, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Black Tooth Grin
- Black Tooth Grin is playing in Fort Wayne more and more often. Look for their shows in Whatz Up
The CD is now available!!! I am so excited that this wonderful band is playing in Fort Wayne. Yippie! Be sure to read about Black Tooth Grin here in Tell-Mama
- David Loehr’s ROCKABILLY NIGHTS now take place at the Copa in the Ramada Inn South, 4514 South Emerson Avenue, Indianapolis. That’s EXIT 52 off I-465 on the south side of Indianapolis.
The phone number there is 317-783-4832. It’s $6.00 at the door, and you must be 21 or older.
Appearing on Saturday, November 13, Fort Waynes own great Red Ball Jets will open for Detroit’s hottest band, the Twistin’ Tarantulas. Don’t miss this fabulous double bill!
- 8 Ball Grifter sends this from Wade Lijewski: Hello friends.
Feel like a night of rockabilly, dancin’, drinkin’, and pure psychobilly mayhem??? What you need is an 8 Ball Grifter show, where a good time is had by all.
FRIDAY SEPT. 3RD, Eight Ball Grifter @ The Small Planet, 220 MAC, E. Lansing, MI
EIGHT BALL GRIFTER was recently voted BEST ROCKABILLY BAND in the area in the July edition of Lansing City Limits.
Way to go, Grifters!!!!
8 BALL NEWS— 8 Ball Grifter is currently finishing up in the recording studio so we can get the CD out to you crazy, much loved individuals. Expect the release date to be in early Fall…although rumor has it that you may be able to pick up an early EP release soon, featuring the single "She Left Me For A Girl".
We’d like to send special thanks out this month to:
Raven, Caitlin, Holly n Jill, Jeff, Rick, Greg, Scotty, The Hilander, Divespire, Caustic Pop, Half Looking, members of Figurehead, Mad Trucker Gone Mad, 19 Wheels, The Lash, and The Tumblers.
Y’all Get Our "ROCK!" Claw Salute of the month.
- MISFIT TOYS promise to keep us posted on their bookings, and the CD is almost ready to fly!! They have a vocalist with them who is the daughter of Lil, the great Fort Wayne blues beltin’ Mama.
- CAVEFISH has been a hot ticket at Benchwarmers in Wabash; at Jungle Jim’s in Elkhart; at The Meteor in Auburn; at Reflections in Columbia City; at Pierre’s Cy-Bar and at Skip’s Party Place in Angola. This band is terrific fun. If you haven’t caught them, try to make time. They are surely going to be BIG.
- GROOVE PARLOR from Muncie played Henry’s in October ’98. I caught the last set and ended up buying the CD (Vices and Devices) **and** the shirt. Very danceable. In October they gigged at the new Crawfish Club here in Fort Wayne, on Broadway at Taylor. This is another extra-talented band with a variety of styles. I’ll post their schedule here.
We have a special music reviewer; I can’t get to Fort Wayne very often any more. I know my limitations! Please welcome Ginny H. whenever you see her. Introduce yourselves. She will write as well as photograph for Tell-Mama. She already knows lots of bands, including her brother’s band, Long Gone. You can email her at email@example.com
She’s a dynamic writer who will tell it like it is. Welcome aboard, Ginny! Why not send her notices to her about when you will be appearing, and maybe she can get to your show?
- Down in Muncie, Indiana there’s one fine new band named Slick Nickel. Book them in Fort Wayne, please!
- Key Palace in Redkey, (mapand directions below.)
The Palace advance ticket sales at 1-800-369-0075, or send an order with your check to Key Palace Theatre, 123 South Meridian St., Redkey IN 47373. They will be getting their own restaurant soon! (Details with the map.)
Heard Eli’s has gone back to a country format, and House of Jazz and Blues has closed to the public but is available for rentals. Very sad news for Rockabillies.
- Hot Spot blues jam every Monday from around 9:00 to midnight!
- At the Dash-In: Every Tuesday is Open Mic night from 7:30 to 11:00 p.m.
- Every Tuesday is Midwest Original Music night at Columbia Street West. Richard Reprogle busts his bustle to bring us original music, so go expand your ears, do.
- Open Stage at Toast and jamevery Wednesday night.
- Thursdays are Singer/Songwriter nights at Toast and Jam
- Thursday nights are alway open mic nights at The Sportsman, unless the new owners have made changes.
- Peanuts, in the Marketplace of Canterbury, has no cover. It has live bands on Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, and it’s a home away from home. Great good food!
- ACA: Always Call and Ask.
See list of phone numbers below!
- There is another section for bands with long tour lists and/or that will be playing farther away from Northeastern Indiana.
- NEW: In another section Otto also covers "weekenders", music events that last two or three days.
Now MOVED to its own page:
Publicize your band, 5 ways. (WhatzUp?, collegemusic.com and more)
sidenotes and chitchat
Need just the phone numbers and locations?
You should be told that the bands Tell-Mama writes about are mostly bands we have seen in person, or want to. There would never be time to write about all the bands from, or passing through, this area! If you live around here, you absolutely need WhatzUp?, the fantastic weekly guide for arts, entertainment and leisure for Northeastern Indiana. It’s free. Pick it up most places you go, including the places on the phone list below
These lineups are subject to change because they are booked very far ahead and things always change with bands.
Send me your news or schedules to add here, especially for Northeastern Indiana, or if I know your band from the Rockabilly Rebel Weekends, okay?
Want to jump to the gigs now
Some phone numbers:
- Fountain Square (317) 686-6010 (see directions below)
- House of Jazz & Blues (219) 422-5292
- Columbia Street West (219) 422-5055
- The Sportsman (219) 423-9503
- The Hot Spot (219) 456-5439
- Legends Sports Bar (Ft. Wayne) (219) 484-2525
- Dash-In (219) 423-3595
- Henry’s (219) 426-0531
- Pierre’s (219) 486-1979
- Key Palace, Redkey 1-800-369-0075 (see map below)
Fountain Square Theatre in Indianapolis is on Fountain Square, down at Virginia and Prospect. It is a nice safe neighborhood with plenty of parking. There’s a lot to do, with retro antique stores in the theatre itself and all around it. Great vintage clothing too. Bookstores. Food. Come early and spend the day at Fountain Square. The theatre has bowling and a full-menu diner right in it! Welcome to the Fountain Square Family. (Otto made that up; it’s a partner toThe Gallery Gang.
Phone at Fountain Square is 317-686-6010 and David Loehr is at 765-948-3326.
Here’s a map for Key Palace in Redkey Indiana, telephone 1-800-369-0075:
Two people sent news of restaurants in Redkey!!! Here they are: Richard E. Buckner said Richard E. Buckner:
There is a very large and really nice place in Redkey caled Yesteryears Inn. Great food. It has a great buffet on Friday and Saturday Nights. It is open from Tuesday thru Saturday I believe.
And this from "mgreen" firstname.lastname@example.org Actually there are three restaurants in the Key:
1. Papa DaVino Pizza & Subs 2. Yester Year Inn (Buffet), and 3. Opening real soon, KEY PALACE’S OWN BLUES GRUB,
A RESTAURANT W/A WATERFALL ,STONE PILLARS AND A MURAL DONE BY THE FAMOUS BLUES PAINTER MICHAEL GREENE, 60′ LONG x 10’TALL. HOPE THAT HELPS YA
THANX- CHICKEN LIPS- DENVER- CO
Well, I suspect that this mgreene is the very artist whose work we will get to see!!! Thanks, Mr. Greene! That will be a sight to see, and I can’t wait. Can you send me a little preview photo to post here??? I still never have made it to Redkey. Last time I had tickets, my aunt died instead.
Back up to the Gigs listings.
Here are just a few of the music pages on this site:
To be notified when this page is updated:
Many thanks to Hepcat Records for all the work they do to keep our musicand our bands alive. Visit the Hepcat Records Web Site!
(Sandra’s old message) It’s obvious that I can’t keep this gig page up-to-date all by my lonesome. I will post what I can, and also the schedules bands send me, but we should rely on WhatzUp? magazine every week. There have been a lot of cancellations due to illness, etc. lately, so remember flu season is coming: have a plan B. If you are coming to Fort Wayne from elsewhere, WhatzUp? is a free weekly entertainment guide available each Wednesday. Look for a copy wherever there is entertainment, or at some record shops and restaurants and filling stations. It’s terrific. I’ll try to get news on this page too.
Also note the new easy way to find Tell-Mama’s music index: the Rockabilly/Roots Chronicle has a new name, Tell-Mama which is simply www.tell-mama.com
We have to use the hyphen between "tell" and "mama" because some Kentucky dude beat me to the name without the hyphen.
Keep on shakin’ the shack; keep on rollin’ the rock. "But don’t thank me, thank Eddie and Gene."
toes have been trod upon tonight.